When you are in the mood for rich, fatty, lusciousness, this guilt-free salad will hit the spot! If you have never tried avocados, here is a chance to discover ‘Nature’s Butter’ at it’s tastiest. For a mere 142 calories per serving of this salad, you get a whopping 15 grams of fat which accounts for the avocado’s rich creaminess, but it is mostly heart healthy plant based Omega 3 and Omega 6 good fats. In addition, this quick to prepare recipe, while low in calories, is high in fiber, vitamins and minerals. It’s tastiest at it’s freshest, so serve immediately for a side dish at dinner, a lazy weekend lunch or healthy snack.
- 1 Haas Avocado diced in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium tomato diced in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1-2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 2 + tbsp finely chopped cilantro – to taste
- 1/2 tsp + salt – to taste
- 1/2 tsp + cumin powder – to taste
- 2 tbsp + or juice of one large lime – to taste
Combine tomato, garlic, onion, cilantro, salt and cumin. Top mixture with diced avocado. Squeeze lime juice over the avocado. Gently toss all ingredients and serve.
To learn more about how to store, ripen and other tips on using Avocados visit www.AvocadoCentral.com.
Serving Size – 6 ounces – Calories 142, Calories from Fat 101 ; Total Fat 11 g, 17%; Saturated Fat 2 g, 8%; Cholesterol 0 mg, 0%; Sodium 594 mg, 25%; Carbohydrate 12 g, 9%; Fiber 6 g, 24%; *Added Sugar 0 g, ~%; Protein 2 g, 5%;
Vitamin C 21 mg, 35%; Calcium 30 mg, 3%; Iron 1 mg, 6%; Vitamin E 2 mg, 9%; Vitamin K 31 mcg, 39%; Thiamin .1 mg, 5%; Riboflavin .1 mg, 7%; Niacin 2 mg, 9%; Vitamin B6 .3 mg, 15%; Folate/Folic Acid 78 mcg, 20%; Potassium 571 mg, 16%; Phosphorus 65 mg, 6%; Magnesium 32 mg, 8%; Zinc 1 mg, 5%; Manganese .3 mg, 13%;
Note*** The Percent Daily Value above are based on a 2,000 calorie per day diet.
To learn more about the nutrient content of your favorite foods, you may want to use a free online nutrient calculator such as The RightTrak.com. The RightTrak.com will calculate your Recommended Daily Allowances(RDA) for over 30 nutrients while it calculates your BMI. Spend some time on the site and do several food searches. You will quickly learn what food choices give you and your loved ones the most “Nutrient Bang for Your Buck!”
Nutritional Information Resources:
USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference
National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Daily Reference Intakes
U.S. Food and Drug Administration Food Labeling and Nutrition Reports (FDA)
The Linus Pauling Institute Micronutrient Information Center
The Whole Grains Council
- Mexican Veggie Bean Salad This refreshing, flavorful, and nutrient dense cold salad comes packed with recommended...
- Salmon Salad Recipe – May Be Healthier Than Tuna Canned salmon is an economical healthy stable to keep in...
- Veggie Chili Stew This flavorful hardy vegetable stew is a healthy choice for...
- Chicken Sausage Today’s American busy family wanting to break the fast food habit...
- Black-Eyed Peas – Taste of Morocco This Moroccan inspired dish is a delicious alternative to preparing...
- Socca – A Chickpea Crepe, Tortilla, Flat Bread, Pancake…It’s soocca Versatile Called socca in France, farinata in Italy and faina in Argentina, this...
- Ground Nuts – A Quick Prescription Recipe For Health Dr. Joel Fuhrman, well known physician who coined the acronym G-BOMBS, say that...
- Greek Spinach Cheese Casserole Inspired by the Greek ‘Spinach Pie’, this tasty casserole is...