Today’s American busy family wanting to break the fast food habit and transition to healthier options needs choices with convenience and good flavor. This chicken sausage recipe should fit the bill. It is seasoned with all natural herbs and spices that are good for you! No need to worry about questionable scraps and fillers because you buy the chicken yourself. The recipe makes about 1 to 1-1/4 pounds of chopped sausage chicken. But you can prepare 2 or more pounds at one time according to your household’s needs. Freeze in 3-4 ounce serving sizes in sandwich size zip lock bags. You can then thaw and use as needed for sausage patties, tomato pasta sauces, chili, stews and even as toppings for salads and pizza.
The carrots and spinach in this recipe do not have a noticeable taste, but adds beautiful healthy color and a big boost in disease fighting nutrients. Use “heaping” amounts of seasoning according to your taste and amounts of chicken you need to flavor.
- 1 to 1 1/4 lb Chicken Meat, coarsely chop or ground, after skinned and deboned. Half breast meat/half thigh meat is best. But according to taste, pocketbook or whatever’s on sale, it also works with all breast meat or all thigh meat with a variation of texture.
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 1 large raw carrot (2-3 oz), finely minced or finely grated
- large handful frozen spinach (2-3 oz), finely minced or finely chopped
- 1 tsp (heaping) Italian seasoning (combination of herbs such as marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano, basil)
- 1/4 tsp (heaping) Fennel Seed
- 1/4 tsp (heaping) Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp (heaping) red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp (heaping) cayenne
- 1 tsp (heaping) salt
Skin and debone chicken. Cut in 1 inch cubed pieces.
If using a food processor:
Use general purpose blade.
Put in garlic cloves, carrot chopped in 1 inch pieces, and frozen spinach. Pulse to mince finely.
Add chicken pieces and pulse a couple of times.
Add remaining ingredients and pulse until chicken is ground and ingredients are all mixed in.
No Food Processor?..
Finely chop chicken by hand or grind coarsely in a manual or electric grinder.
Grate and mince carrots. Mince garlic and spinach. Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Use what is needed immediately or let marinate for a couple hours or overnight for more intense flavor. Freeze remainder for later use.
- Sunday Brunch Chicken Sausage Sliders These Sunday Brunch Chicken Sausage Sliders will take a healthy...
- Quickie Sausage Pasta Dinner No need to run out for pizza on a busy...
- Oatmeal Breakfast Bars Your kids will not miss those processed toaster pastries with these...
- Frozen Bananas. A Must Have Family Staple. Freeze bananas when they have brown spots on the skin...
- Joy Bauer’s Food Remedies – PBS Special You may have seen Certified Nutritionist and best selling author...
- Cutting Edge: Fighting The Fat. It’s Not How Much You Eat But What You Eat. Cutting Edge: Fighting Fat is one of three prime-time health...
- Banana Berry Breakfast Dessert This recipe was inspired by a kitchen gadget called Yonanas...
- Dr Oz: A 10 Minute Meal to Reduce Your Risk Of Ovarian Cancer. Dr. William Li MD Cancer Researcher has been a guest...