Dr. Mark Hyman, best selling author and internationally respected physician committed to treating underlying causes of illness, tells us in his PBS Special The Blood Sugar Solution that we can reverse diabetes and treat obesity and the illnesses associated with these without medication. He says science overwhelmingly shows us that food is the best medicine. He shares with us the diet and nutrition plan he uses to successfully treat his patients at his UltraWellness Center. Patents who have returned to optimal health by eating natural, whole fresh foods. He says our grocery store should be our pharmacy that’s spelled FARMacy.
Dr. Hyman says if you do not do anything else in The Blood Solution Program, following these 10 rules will keep you healthy for life!
Follow Dr. Hyman’s Ten Rules For Eating Safely
- Do not eat food if it has a label on it. Avoid foods in a box, package or can.
- If the food does have a label, it should have fewer than five ingredients. But Beware of food with “Health Claims” on the label. Cola is “fat free” but that certainly doesn’t make Cola a healthy food item. A big bag of deep fried potato chips may say ” all-natural, no artificial ingredients, gluten-free, organic, no sugar, and it may also have fewer than five ingredients on label, but that doesn’t make it a health food! (Potato chips contain a cancer causing chemical. Read More..)
- Stay away from those deadly white powders: white sugar and white flour which acts like sugar in your body. Sugar of any name on the label, throw it out.
- Throw out any food with high fructose corn syrup on the label. It is not biochemically identical to sugar. Researchers in Children’s Hospital in Oakland found that it punches little holes in your gut. This creates something called a leaky gut and allows toxic bacteria in food proteins to get into your bloodstream causing serious inflammation which drives diabesity. This is the main ingredient in liquid calories or sugary drinks which is the number one cause of obesity in America. Don’t drink your calories! They will pour on the pounds!
- Throw out any food with the word “hydrogenated” on the label! It is an indicator of trans fats which are vegetable oils converted through a process into shortening or margarine. You know why they call at shortening? Because it shortens your life.
- Throw out any highly refined cooking oils such as corn oil and soy oil. Also avoid fried foods. Stick with olive oil and coconut oil.
- Throw out any food with ingredients you do not recognize or can not pronounce.
- Throw out any foods with preservatives, additives, coloring, or dyes, or “natural flavorings” like MSG
- Throw out any food with artificial sweeteners of any kind. How many of you have used diet drinks as a weight-loss strategy or to manage diabetes? Here is the headline you need to know. Artificial sweeteners make you hungrier, they slow your metabolism, they will give you bad gas, and they make you store extra fat around your waist, the big bad belly fat! In a recent study, people who drank two or more diet sodas a day experienced waist size increases 500% greater than those of non-drinkers.
- If it came from the earth or a farmer’s field and not a food chemist’s lab than it is safe to eat. Like Michael Pollan, author of Food Rules says “if it was grown in a plant, not made in a plant” than it is safe to eat..
Now that you have thrown out everything in your kitchen how are you going to eat? Eat real food. Learn to make “The Perfect Plate”. When you do that, you will lose weight automatically, stop your sugar and carb cravings, and your food addictions.
- Focus on eating quality real whole fresh foods every day. Load up on Good Carbs, slow carbs, plant foods. These include vegetables, fruit, seeds, nuts, whole grains, and beans. These don’t spike insulin and they make you lose belly fat. These foods have all the right gene material and turn on all the right human genes. Our bodies know what to do with these whole foods.
- Make “The Perfect Plate”
- Half the plate should be low glycemic vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, spinach, kale, cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, salad greens. And you get unlimited refills on that side.
- One quarter of the plate should be high quality protein like beans, nuts and seeds, lean chicken, fish.
- One quarter of the plate should be slow carbs like brown rice, quinoa, or sweet potatoes. Not bagels, doughnuts or pasta!
- The key to balancing your blood sugar and insulin is having protein with every meal including snacks. Eating protein at breakfast will cut your cravings, turn up your metabolic thermostat, make you lose weight faster. So for breakfast have eggs, a protein shake, or have dinner for breakfast. You also need to eat the right fats.
- Research is clear. Eating fat does not make you fat. 90% of Americans are deficient in the good fats. Good fats are those anti-inflammatory omega 3 fats that come from wild fish and some plants like algae. These fight diabesity and boost your brain.
You also need the good oils like olive oil, nuts, coconut oil and avocados.
- Eat early, eat often and do not eat before Bed! Breakfast is the single most important meal of the day. It is the main thing that people have in common who have lost 70 or more pounds and have kept it off for five years. Eating often is also essential. People who ate three meals a day lost more weight than people who ate one meal a day even if they ate exactly the same amount of calories during the day. Do not eat right before you go to bed. Eating before you go to bed makes your body store fat instead of burning it. That’s how Sumo wrestlers gain weight. They eat and they go to bed.
- There are two bad guys that can cause diabesity, gluten and dairy. Stopping them for a few weeks can result in dramatic shifts in health and weight.
- There is one thing affecting millions of people and it is almost never diagnosed by your doctor. Hidden food allergies and sensitivities. In addition to causing many chronic health problems like auto immune diseases, asthma, migraines, digestive problems like irritable bowel and reflux. Food sensitivities and allergies also cause diabesity.
- Dr. Mark Hyman: Seven Steps To Reverse Diabesity. Diet, Supplements, Family & Community. Internationally respected physician, and best selling author, Dr. Mark Hyman shares with...
- Dr. Mark Hyman: Calories In and Calories Out Is Only Half The Story Getting healthy is way more than calories in and calories...
- Joy Bauer’s Food Remedies – PBS Special You may have seen Certified Nutritionist and best selling author...
- Dr Oz: Reverse Childhood Obesity. What Parents Should Know. This week The Dr. Oz Show aired a show dedicated...
- Cutting Edge: Fighting The Fat. It’s Not How Much You Eat But What You Eat. Cutting Edge: Fighting Fat is one of three prime-time health...
- Dr. Fuhrman: Stop Food Addiction, Lose Weight, True Hunger vs Toxic Hunger “Our bodies are precise computers directing us to the exact...
- Dr Oz: Fast Food Diet. Lose 5 Pounds In A Week! Dr. Oz is right! For better or worse, fast food is...
- Dr. Fuhrman: How To End Dieting Forever! Lose Weight Without Surgery! Dr. Fuhrman says “Stop starving yourself!…Diets just don’t work!” In...