Jennifer Hudson actress, singer, Weight Watchers spokesperson and now author of her new book I Got This appeared on The Dr Oz Show to share her inspiring story of her transformation from size 16 to size 6. In spite of the pressures of Hollywood, music career, personal tragedy, and the vicious public scutiny celebrities have to endure regarding their weight issues, it was motherhood that was the spark to motivate Jennifer into taking control of her health.
She told Dr. Oz that she and her fiancé did not realize how important health was until they were adults in their 20s. So they knew that they wanted to set a healthy example for their son.
So she turned to Weight Watchers to help her get started but first she said she needed to acknowledge that she had a problem. Then she said to herself “I want this, I want to change this” And then she went for it!
So why did Weight Watchers work!
Jennifer said even though the Weight Watchers plan allows you to eat any food you want as long as you stay within your points, Weight Watchers teaches you the importance of portion sizes and how to make healthy and natural food choices that you carry over into your everyday lifestyle. She admitted she had to change her eating habits and now she sticks to some of her favorite Weight Watchers recipes like Vegetarian Lasagna with no pasta and turkey burgers instead of red meat. She also makes sure she eats lots of fruit for fiber.
Dr. Oz’s guest, Weight Watchers’ leader, Liz Josefsberg offered suggestions that will help you succeed with your weight loss goals:
- Get tools that will help you take control of your environment. You need to have measuring cups and spoons to help you control your portions.
- Make healthy meals in bulk so you can freeze some for quick meals
- Buy several individual serving sized Tupperware type containers, so you can portion out and freeze your healthy meals. Also buy sharpies and masking tape so you can label your containers with the date you froze it, name of your dish and any other information you may want. Frozen meals should last about a month in the freezer.
- Stock your kitchen with low calorie, nutrient dense foods that will promote good health. They will be high in fiber, high water, high in protein and they will keep you full. These are lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, non-fat and low-fat dairy
Weight Watchers calls these foods Power Foods. Liz explains how Weight Watchers as taken the guesswork out and created a list of these 20 power foods in the form of a shopping list that you can take to your supermarket and pick up in 20 minutes.
- all fresh, frozen and canned vegetables
- all fresh, frozen and canned fruits without added sugar and sugary syrups
- chicken breasts
- nonfat or low-fat milk
- nonfat or low-fat cheese
- Greek yogurt
- lean ground turkey
- turkey breasts
- chicken broth
- reduced calorie bread
- broth-based soups
- lean ground beef
- whole wheat pasta
- vegetarian burgers
- brown rice
And while you are out and about, you may want to pickup a copy of the book Weight Watchers PointsPlus Cookbook that have recipes using these foods.
Part of any good weight loss plan is an exercise program. How does Jennifer work this in? Jennifer says with her busy schedule she created what she calls a “Trilogy”. It doesn’t take much space, no equipment and you only need to know how to count! It’s three exercises that you do in about 15 minutes. Any three exercises you want, working on any part of the body you want. She and Dr. Oz demonstrated one of Jennifer’s Trilogies. It included 25 squats, 25 sit-ups and 25 pushups (men or women type).
She stresses doing any exercise that you like such as jumping rope and playing basketball or whatever is fun for you that keeps you moving.
Dr. Oz bought up that many women feel invisible living with the extra weight to carry around. He asked if Jennifer experienced a difference in the way she has been treated as part of her transformation.
Jennifer said it is something you will not understand unless you have been on both sides of the fence. She said you would not think that something like your appearance would have such a magnifying impact on your life. She said it’s A Whole New World where people are much more friendly and you have much more open to you. She felt like she was missing out on so much when she was heavier. And after losing the weight it is like A Whole New World.
She says she feels so empowered at being able to conquer such a personal goal for herself.
Her advise to us is to not make excuses and don’t get hung up on what other people want for us.
Know what you want for yourself and Go Fot It!
- Dr Oz: Weight Watchers Diet Does Work! U.S. News & World Report just released their “Best Diets”...
- Dr Oz: Lose Weight, Transform Your Health, Win $One Million Dollars! Sep 27, 2011 – Dr. Oz of The Dr. Oz...
- Dr. Oz: Flat Belly Diet Plan Dr. Oz on his Dr. Oz Show, has yet another...
- GMA: Karen Le Billon Tells Katie Couric Why French Kids Eat Their Veggies Katie Couric visted Good Morning Americaas a guest co-host and...
- GMA: Best Weight Loss Diet Rankings From U.S. News & World Report Jun 7, 2011 – Good Morning America together with Robin...
- Cutting Edge: Fighting The Fat. It’s Not How Much You Eat But What You Eat. Cutting Edge: Fighting Fat is one of three prime-time health...
- Dr Oz: Add Years To Your Life With The Longevity Calculator How many of us think we will be around to...
- Dr Oz: Reverse Childhood Obesity. What Parents Should Know. This week The Dr. Oz Show aired a show dedicated...