Dr. William Li MD Cancer Researcher has been a guest on The Dr. Oz Show several times to impart his expert and scientific knowlege of the cancer fighting properties in foods. He says “Food is medicine we take three times a day.” He explained that it was an Ah-Hah moment for him when he realized that cancer treatment and prevention might be connected to food. Data suggested that mother nature has laced many fruits and vegetables and spices with the same molecules that he was studying in the lab to develop cancer drugs!
That’s the reason why Dr. Li said he developed an anti-ovarian cancer diet with foods that have been shown to dramatically reduce the risk of ovarian cancer, some up to 75%.
Food is the key in the prevention of ovarian cancer because you cannot control a lot of other risk factors, like genetics and family history. But you can change your diet. There is good data that shows that certain foods are protective against ovarian cancer.
Endive is a vegetable that is used in salads. It’s in the chicory family and it is recognizable in the supermarket by resembling a yellow and white tulip that has not yet opened. Studies of 62,000 women in the Netherlands have shown that eating endive can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer by 75%. Endives contain a natural cancer fighter called kaempferol, a molecule which actually causes ovarian cancer cells to die. It cuts off the blood supply feeding cancer cells, starving them, a process called anti-angiogenesis in which Dr. Li has shared in other Dr. Oz appearances. Eat endives raw because cooking them seems to destroy the anti-cancer benefits. Dr. Li recommends eating a half a cup of endives two times a week.
Sea Bass. A series of studies involving 18,000 people in northern Italy found that eating fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids reduce the risks of ovarian cancer by 30%. Dr. Li personally prefers Mediterranean Sea Bass. He recommends eating 6 ounces (a piece about the size of your palm) 2 to 3 times a week.
Onions. Dr. Li said onions are the underdogs of super foods. They are so protective because contain about 4 different cancer fighters. Studies from Italy and Switzerland have shown that eating onions can reduce your risk of ovarian cancer by 73%. Red onions are the best because they contain about 60% more of the cancer fighting flavonoids compared to white or yellow onions. The best way to eat an onions is to sauté it with a little oil rather than raw. And boiling an onion reduces its cancer fighting properties by about 30%. Dr. Li recommends eatting about one half cup of onions every day to receive their cancer fighting benefits.
Dr. Li shared a meal that only takes 10 minutes to cook and uses these and other cancer preventing foods.
Steamed Sea Bass with a Lemon Mediterranean Sauce and Endive Salad
- 6 oz Sea Bass
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Belgium Endive
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup plum tomato chopped (tip -When you pick a tomato off a vine, the cancer fighting lycopene levels in the tomato continued to go up for about five days after. No need to eat it fresh. Wait a few more days for more lycopene benefit.)
- one lemon – contains cancer fighting limonene
- 10 Kalamata olives pitted
- 1 teaspoon capers – also contains cancer fighting kaempferol
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric – contains a cancer fighting ingredient call curcumin
- salt and pepper to taste
Brush Bass with some of the olive oil and steam for 5-7 minutes.
While that is steaming, sauté garlic and red onions in olive oil for about three minutes until onions are soft and translucent. Add tomatoes, olives and capers, and squeeze in lemon juice. Add turmeric. Cook over medium heat for five to 10 minutes.
Finish dish by slicing endive into shreds. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Plate the steamed bass and top with the Mediterranean veggie mixture sauce you just cooked and top that with the shredded endive salad.
- Dr Oz: Ovarian Cancer. A Solution! Sep 14, 2011 – Dr. Oz has teamed up with...
- “Dr Oz: Antioxidants”. Fighting The War On Cancer With Prevention. The Dr. Oz Show has featured what Dr. Oz called his “three...
- Dr Oz: Cancer Truths. All Of Us Has Cancer Cells Growing Inside! and More.. Dr. Oz recently aired a show in which he revealed...
- ABC World News: The WHO Urges Precaution Of Cell Phone Use and Cancer Risk. Jun 1, 2011 – ABC World News Tonight with Diane...
- Drinking Coffee is Good For Us! It Can Prevent Cancer! I could have sworn that just a few years ago...
- Breast Cancer: New Study Will Lead To New Treatment Therapies 09-24-2012 The airwaves are all abuzz with an exciting new...
- Dr. Fuhrman: GOMBS Superfoods, Reverse Disease, Lower Cholesterol, Prevent Cancer “A properly fueled body is a miraculous self-healing machine” Dr....
- Aspirin May Help Prevent Skin Cancer March 11, 2013 – We have all heard of the...