Inspired by the Greek ‘Spinach Pie’, this tasty casserole is the spinach and cheese without the high calorie buttery filo dough. Serve as a side with roasted rotisserie chicken (without the skin) and a garden salad with tomatoes. Leftovers are great for microwaved office lunches or an after school snack.
Servings – 6
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach (16 oz), thawed and drained but not squeezed dry
- 1 package Feta cheese (6 oz) crumbled or diced small
- 3/4 cup lowfat small curd cottage cheese (5 oz) drained
- 1 small onion (4-5 oz) finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 heaping tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
Preheat Oven 350 Degrees
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into an oiled 2 quart casserole dish and bake uncovered for 35 – 40 minutes.
Serving Size – 5 ounce slice – Calories 157, Calories from Fat 81 ; Total Fat 9 g, 14%; Saturated Fat 5 g, 25%; Cholesterol 97 mg, 32%; Sodium 681 mg, 28%; Carbohydrate 9 g, 7%; Fiber 3 g, 13%; *Added Sugar 0 g, 0%; Protein 12 g, 25%;
Vitamin A 1726 IU, 35%; Vitamin C 4 mg, 6%; Calcium 295 mg, 29%; Iron 2.3 mg, 13%; Vitamin E 3 mg, 15%; Vitamin K 413 mcg, 517%; Thiamin .12 mg, 8%; Riboflavin .5 mg, 29%; Vitamin B6 .31 mg, 16%; Folate/Folic Acid 115 mcg, 29%; Vitamin B12 .85 mcg, 14%; Potassium 344 mg, 10%; Phosphorus 208 mg, 21%; Magnesium 75 mg, 19%; Zinc 1.55 mg, 10%; Selenium 16 mcg, 23%; Manganese .65 mg, 33%;
Note*** The Percent Daily Value above are based on a 2,000 calorie per day diet.
To learn more about the nutrient content of your favorite foods, you may want to use a free online nutrient calculator such as The RightTrak.com. The RightTrak.com will calculate your Recommended Daily Allowances(RDA) for over 30 nutrients while it calculates your BMI. Spend some time on the site and do several food searches. You will quickly learn what food choices give you and your loved ones the most “Nutrient Bang for Your Buck!”
Nutritional Information Resources:
USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference
National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Daily Reference Intakes
U.S. Food and Drug Administration Food Labeling and Nutrition Reports (FDA)
The Linus Pauling Institute Micronutrient Information Center
The Whole Grains Council
- Mexican Veggie Bean Salad This refreshing, flavorful, and nutrient dense cold salad comes packed with recommended...
- Socca – A Chickpea Crepe, Tortilla, Flat Bread, Pancake…It’s soocca Versatile Called socca in France, farinata in Italy and faina in Argentina, this...
- Spinach Recalls. Salmonella, E-Coli, Listeria. What Can We Do? 11-7-2012 The news wires have reported yet another recall from...
- Veggie Chili Stew This flavorful hardy vegetable stew is a healthy choice for...
- Black-Eyed Peas – Taste of Morocco This Moroccan inspired dish is a delicious alternative to preparing...
- Avocado Tomato Salad – Experience Nature’s Butter When you are in the mood for rich, fatty, lusciousness,...
- Banana Berry Breakfast Dessert This recipe was inspired by a kitchen gadget called Yonanas...
- Ground Nuts – A Quick Prescription Recipe For Health Dr. Joel Fuhrman, well known physician who coined the acronym G-BOMBS, say that...